Promotes and protects individual and community wellness through promotion, education and enforcement of Provincial Acts, regulations and Regional policies. Recognizes and responds to potential health hazards, and eliminates or decreases existing health hazards which could impair the health and well-being of Region of Waterloo residents. Most work is performed off-site at various public or private premises, requiring travel throughout Waterloo Region. Occasionally works after hours to conduct inspections, reach out to clients not available during the day and provide assistance in emergency situations. Shares on-call duties with other incumbents in the Division to respond to urgent situations outside normal working hours.
Current Assignment: Kitchener and Area Team (2 positions) and Cambridge and Area team (2 positions)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Thorough knowledge of public health inspection and health promotion methods, problem solving and investigative methods acquired through a 4 year university degree program, plus 3 years related experience.
- Must possess Certificate of Public Health Inspection (Canada) through certification by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors.
- Technical knowledge in specific areas of food, water, environmental health, infection control, rabies, and communicable disease.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, provincial laws, municipal by-laws related to public health.
- Research skills to ensure provision of factual, accurate information on current issues to public/contacts/clients.
- Computer skills with ability to use programs such as Hedgehog, Word, and Excel; Internet based searching and networking.
- Tact, persuasion, diplomacy, intervention and negotiation skills are required in order to ensure public environmental health standards are achieved in difficult and controversial situations.
- Ability to interpret complicated and technical information in both written and verbal form; write in-depth reports and summaries pertaining to inspections and investigations to a variety of audiences including health professionals, and the public. Ability to develop program direction/strategies (e.g., marketing and education).
- Ability to maintain accurate written documentation and file records.
- Ability to make presentations to audiences of all sizes with varying knowledge and skill levels.
- Ability to travel to various locations within and outside Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Call Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Please apply online, by the closing date Oct 25, 2016 quoting competition number 2016-1825 , or send your resume to: The Regional Municipality of Waterloo, Talent Management and Employee Services, 150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor, Kitchener, ON N2G 4J3.
4 days ago
Public Health InspectorRegion of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON
Must possess Certificate of Public Health Inspection (Canada) through certification by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors....Read More 4 days ago
Dietitian (Sunnyside)Region of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON
Knowledge of current standards of practice for nutritional care, assessment, and counselling, normally acquired through a post-secondary degree in Food &...Read More 6 days ago
PlannerRegion of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON
Assist in the development and implementation of the Transit Service Improvement Plans, including analysis of route options, review of stop locations,...Read More 1 months ago
Specialist,Water QualityRegion of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON
A valid Class “G” driver’s license and acceptable driving record are required in order to operate a Regional vehicle....Read More 2 months ago
Supervisor, Operations (Paramedic Services)Region of Waterloo - Waterloo, ON
Emergency response activities require the possession of a valid Class “F” Driver’s License and acceptable driving record, and all other Primary or Advanced Care...Read More 2 months ago